Choosing fabric for waterproof patio covers is a task that cannot be undertaken lightly. In commercial applications, your patio cover may be the first thing that your customers see as they enter your premises. If you're in the hospitality sector, you understand the advantage of using waterproof fabric for your entrance awnings, as this creates a warm and welcoming area for guests as they cross your threshold. In addition, as outdoor dining has become more popular, eateries offer their clientele the option to gather on patios.
Who Uses Waterproof Patio Covers
Patio covers are utilized in many sectors, including:
- Smoking areas
- Childcare facilities
Smoking bans have become more prevalent, and as of June 2013, twenty-eight states have enacted bans on smoking in enclosed public places, including bars and restaurants. The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) predicts that by 2020 all states will have enacted laws to this effect. It is therefore imperative that venues where the public get together make specific areas for smokers to eat and drink. What better way than installing a waterproof patio cover?
Herculite® Natura®, which is a new high-performance textile that looks and feels like woven cloth, is perfect for commercial awnings. Schools and childcare facilities often need to have somewhere the children can go to during recess when it's raining. Waterproof awnings make great spaces for kids to play and socialize under cover.
Benefits of Waterproof Patio Covers
The most obvious benefit of waterproof patio covers is, of course, the fact that they will keep the rain off your customers. However, there are a number of other benefits:
- Shelter your patio furniture. You've probably spent a lot of money on your patio furniture, and it's well worth protecting your chairs, tables, and other equipment. It's impractical to bring them all inside every time the weather is inclement.
- Allows you to use your patio for more months of the year. Waterproof patio covers will protect patrons when it's drizzling yet warm outside. You'll be able to promote al fresco dining almost all year round.
- Great variety of colors and patterns. Modern technology has allowed the production of a great variety of awning fabrics and the range of colors is astonishing. For example, the Herculite® Patio 500 is available in over wide range of colors and patterns.
- Suitable for almost any awning style. If you want to install butterfly or retractable awnings, parasols, side blinds, patio covers, and more, waterproof patio fabric is an appropriate choice.
- Minimal maintenance. Most waterproof awning fabrics require very little maintenance, and you just need to hose them down occasionally. Herculite® manufactures some of its awning fabric with a patented top coat, Rain Kleen®, which enables the rain to wash the patio cover clean.
- Strong enough to be pulled tight. The fabric used for waterproof patio covers is strong enough to be stretched firmly over a frame, which means that it doesn't sag or stretch and create pockets in which water can collect. Make sure you use one of Herculite's textiles that can be fabric-welded to make sure that the seams are 100 percent waterproof.
- Printing logos. If you're an owner of a retail businesses you may want use awnings to advertise your location. You can display goods outside your shop, as a waterproof awning will make sure that they are protected.
Overall, waterproof patio covers can be utilized in many ways. To make sure it's worth your while, purchase the best fabric you can. Part of the criteria that the fabric needs to meet is the capability to remain 100 percent waterproof for many years in the future. To learn more about what makes a great awning article, download our free guide, "Five Factors to Consider when Determining a Quality Awning Fabric"