Performance fabrics are specialty textiles designed to work with an athlete’s body to provide things like temperature control, mold and mildew...
Mold and Mildew Resistance and Why it Matters
Mold and mildew can grow almost anywhere. Why are mold and mildew resistant fabrics so important and how do they work?
When you think of mold and mildew, you probably think about wet, cold places. But did you know that both types of fungus can grow on any surface? This means curtains, tent fabrics, awning fabrics, glass, and even indoor materials are vulnerable.
It’s essential to keep your home and office dry and clean, but mold and mildew-resistant fabrics can offer an added layer of protection. The medical industry uses specialty textiles that are mold and mildew-resistant, fire-retardant, and antimicrobial. The same features are also present in most military tents and awning materials.
Because awnings and marine boat covers are constantly exposed to moisture, these specialty fabrics are designed with various features that help you combat mold and mildew growth. Herculite offers specialty fabrics for industrial, medical, awning, marine, military, and banner sign industries.
Knowledge is key when it comes to preventing fungus growth in your home or on the surfaces of your awnings, boat covers, or tents. Here are some tips on how to prevent the budding and spreading of mold:
- Keep your materials dry and reduce moisture by keeping humidity in your home low.
- If you have a leak or spill, dry it quickly and thoroughly. Drying an area between 24-48 hours after it is saturated will not likely grow mold.
- Make sure to keep your roof gutters repaired and clean so moisture does not build up. This also prevents leaks.
- Don’t let water collect around the foundation of your home or office building.
- Make sure your a/c unit is clean, and drip pans are dry.
- Remember to turn on the fan in your bathroom when you’re showering. You can also open a window to reduce humidity.
Not only is mold unsightly and damaging to the integrity of fabrics and structures, but it can also be hazardous to human health. Be sure to take all necessary preventative and sanitary measures.
We are looking for a performance fabric that is both cost-effective and chemical resistant. Check out our free whitepaper on The Flexible PVC Composite Textile Advantage.