Summer is a great time for outdoor parties, weddings, corporate events, and more. If you’re thinking about buying or renting a tent or canopy for your event, below is a list of important items to consider when selecting one:
On-Site Setup Considerations
- How much space will be available on-site for setting up the tent?
- On what surface will the tent be erected (on grass, asphalt, concrete, etc.)?
- How will the tent be used? (Will everyone be sitting down at tables under the tent? Or continually walking around? Will there be a dance floor, stage, bar, cake table, etc.?)
- What time of day will the tent be used? Will you need lights or a heater?
- What are the power needs (e.g., For cooking, entertainment, cooling fans, etc.)?
Tent Type, Size, Width, and Cost
- What type of tent do you need (e.g., a canopy tent, a frame tent, a bale ring or pole tent, a tension or genesis tent, etc.)?
- How many people will be at your event? (The larger the event, the bigger the tent you’ll need).
- What type of weather conditions might there be (e.g., sun, rain, wind, etc.)?
- How much will the tent cost? (Costs vary by type and size).
Structural Integrity – A single, strong gust of wind, heavy rain, or a guest’s misguided step can quickly compromise a tent’s structure. To keep everyone safe, ask:
- How structurally sound and stable is the tent?
- What is the best way to set the tent up to maintain the proper safety conditions?
Tent Fabric – To get the maximum use out of your tent, it’s important to select the right type of fabric, as well as one with a long life expectancy. Consider the following factors:
* Fabric Quality
- What type of tent material do you need (e.g., canvas, polyester, nylon, etc.)?
- How durable is the fabric? (i.e., Choose fabrics that are stretch resistant, mildew and wick resistant (especially when setting up a tent in a humid state), and that are sturdy enough to withstand being torn or scratched. For example, Herculite’s custom and performance fabrics are well known for standing the test of time).
- How easy will the tent fabric be to clean and/or remove stains? (Hint: Select fabrics that will enable you to use water and a mild detergent to clean them instead of abrasive cleaners. That way, the tent’s fabric will last longer.)
* Fire Resistance
- Is the material flame resistant or can it be made to be? Does it meet the state fire marshal’s minimum requirements?
- What color do you need? (Tent colors range from whites, reds, and greens to oranges, yellows, etc.)
- How long does it take to set up the tent?
- How many people are required to set it up and take it down?
- Does the tent fabric come with any type of warranty or guarantee in the event of excessive color changes, deterioration from mildew stains, or excessive loss of strength?
With all of these factors in mind, you’ll have everything that you need to select the right tent for your event, and also find one that fits within your budget.
For more information about Herculite’s tent and structure fabrics, visit http://www.herculite.com/tent-and-structure.